Bruins lose heartbreaker to #4 ranked Eagles

In front of an electric crowd, the Bruins and Eagles went from a defensive battle in the first half, to both teams hitting huge shots in the second half and overtime in a rollercoaster-y game that saw both teams come back from late deficits. In the end, Davies had one more shot in them as a three pointer with 12 seconds left in overtime gave the Eagles a 52-51 lead, and the Bruins final shot on a driving layup just spun out at the final buzzer. Despite the late game fireworks, the first half saw both teams struggle to score against the other. The game was tied at 1-1 until a three pointer by Davies with just under 13 minutes in the half broke the field goal ice. Davies built an 8-1 lead as the Bruins didn't get their first basket until Emily Stroup scored and was fouled with 10 minutes to play. But that made the score 8-4, and despite the low score, the first half was closely played. Anna Brakke hit a baseline shot with 30 seconds to go, and the Eagles scored right before the halftime buzzer to take a 16-11 lead at half. The second half is where the rollercoaster ride really began though. Stroup scored on a pair of inside baskets, and Maddie Erickson hit a three pointer to make it a 20-18 Davies lead with 14 minutes to go and had grabbed momentum. That was quickly erased though as Stroup picked up her 4th foul at that same time period. Davies was then able to go on a 7-0 run to push the lead to 27-18, their biggest of the game, with 12 minutes to go and this time Davies looked to have all the momentum. The Bruins hung tough though. Erickson and Stroup both scored and drew fouls for back to back three point plays and just like that it was 27-24. A freethrow by McKenzie Roehrich and a pull up jumper by Rachel Green tied up the game for the first time since the opening minute at 27-27 at the 8 minute mark. Following a Davies timeout, the Eagles rattled off 6 straight points to build a 33-27 lead and again looked to be poised to take control of the game with just under 6 minutes left but South rallied again. Erickson had a bucket and Stroup hit a pair of freethrows to cut the lead back to 33-31. After a freethrow by Davies, Erickson hit her second three of the game to tie things up again at 34-34 and took their first lead of the game on a freethrow by Roehrich at 35-34 with 4 and a half minutes to go and the Bruins looked ready to seize the game. However, the Eagles then scored on back to back three point plays of their own to build a 41-35 lead with 3 minutes to go and the rollercoaster ride continued. South dug deep again though. Erickson hit a freethrow, Stroup scored on a perimeter shot to make it 42-40 with 2 minutes to go. Maddie Erickson then hit a huge three pointer with a minute to play to give South a 43-42 lead, but that was answered by a Davies three pointer with 30 seconds to play to give the Eagles a 45-43 lead. South had a shot to take the lead on a three pointer, missed, but the ball went out of bounds off Davies, giving the Bruins one last chance with 5 seconds left. On the inbounds, Maddie Erickson drove the lane and floated up a runner that swished through at the horn, sending the game to overtime and had the crowd buzzing. Davies scored first in the overtime on a pair of freethrows to take a 47-45 lead, but Erickson hit a pull up shot to tie the game with 2 minutes to go. The Bruins then looked like they were going to pull off the upset as Stroup scored inside to take a 49-47 lead with a minute to go, and Stroup secured a Davies missed shot on the other end and made a freethrow to put South up 50-47 with 52 seconds left. However Davies was able to grab an offensive rebound on their next shot and scored, cutting the lead to 50-49 with 39 seconds to go. Davies fouled and the Bruins were able to make one freethrow to go up 51-49 with 32 seconds left. As the game wound down, the Eagles hit a huge three pointer to give them the lead at 52-51 with 12 seconds left. South pushed the ball up the floor and had a great chance to win on a layup attempt, but the shot spun out as the final horn sounded, and the result was a very tough 52-51 loss for the Bruins. Maddie Erickson had a nice floor game scoring 24 points, grabbing 9 rebounds, and dishing out 5 assists, while Emily Stroup had another double-double, finishing with 21 points and 18 rebounds. The loss drops South to 6-9 in the EDC and they take on top ranked Shanley on Saturday afternoon in the Deacon gym.

See the complete Bruin box score here

Fargo South: Erickson 8 5-10 24, Stroup 8 5-6 21, Green 1 0-0 2, Roehrich 0 2-4 2, Brakke 1 0-0 2; Totals: 18 12-20 51, Three point goals: Erickson 3