Bruins drop overtime game to Sheyenne

Fargo South missed out on a number of chances to withstand the hot shooting of the Sheyenne Mustangs and pull out a win on Saturday afternoon, but things did not roll the way of the Bruins and the result was a tough 72-67 overtime loss. Sheyenne got off to a red hot start, hitting 6 of their first 7 shots and jumping out to a 15-9 lead. South kept their heads though and the Mustangs cooled off as the half wore on. Maddie Erickson found her rhythm, scoring 9 of South's next 13 points and lifting South to a 22-20 lead with 7 minutes to go in the half. The teams battled back and forth for those last 7 minutes with the Bruins able to get to the freethrow line a number of times, and a spinning layup by Emily Stroup right before the halftime buzzer gave the Bruins a 38-33 halftime lead. The Bruins then got a steal and layup by Erickson to start the second half to push to their largest lead at 40-33 and led 45-41 on a Stroup inside basket with 14 minutes to go. Sheyenne battled tough though and tied the game up a minute later at 45-45. South was able to creep the lead back up to 54-49 as McKenzie Roehrich hit freethrows and a drving basket with just under 7 minutes to play. A big turning point though came when Stroup was whistled for an illegal screen as South was looking to extend to a 7 point lead, but instead that call sparked an 8-0 run for the Mustangs giving them a 57-54 lead with 4 minutes to go. South then got another driving hoop from Roehrich and an inside basket by Stroup to regain the lead at 58-57 with 3 minutes to play and had 4 chances to extend that lead, but missed on all 4 shot attempts, a couple of which were halfway down and spun out. Sheyenne got a hoop with 1:13 to go to take a 59-58 lead, but that was answered by a Stroup basket to make it 60-59 Bruins with under a minute to play. As was the case all game long though for the Mustangs, freshman Maggie Manson nailed her 6th three of the game to give Sheyenne a 62-60 lead with 25 seconds to play. The Bruins held tough, and Maddie Erickson hit a driving pull-up shot to tie the game at 62-62 with 9 seconds to go, sending the game to overtime. In the overtime, the Mustangs appeared to take control, hitting another three pointer and converting on a three point play to take a 68-62 lead. However, South managed to stay in it as Erickson hit a three pointer to cut the lead to 68-65 with just over a minute to go, then got the ball back on a rebound. Stroup was fouled on the offensive end and hit 1 of 2 freethrows to make it 68-66 with 50 seconds to go. South again played good defense and got the ball back again, and Erickson was fouled on a drive to the basket, where she also made 1 of 2 freethrows to make it 68-67. The Bruins had to foul, and Manson made both freethrows to push the lead out to 70-67 with 20 seconds left to go. The Bruins called a timeout to set up their last play, but unfortunately had a turnover on the inbounds pass and had to foul again to stop the clock. The Mustangs hit both freethrows and the Bruins could not get back on the board, and ended up with the 72-67 loss. Maddie Erickson led all scorers with 26 points. Emily Stroup had 21 points and 18 rebounds, while McKenzie Roehrich joined the double figure scoring with 13 points. Next action for South is Tuesday night when they host West Fargo.

See the complete Bruin box score here

Fargo South: Erickson 8 8-11 26, Stroup 8 5-9 21, Green 3 0-0 7, Aguilar 0 0-0 0, Roehrich 3 7-8 13, Brakke 0 0-0 0; Totals: 22 20-29 67, Three point goals: Erickson 2, Green